Sunday, February 17, 2013

on being 41

(with thanks to Gordon Skinner for giving me a print of Fotolia for my birthday)

part of me is yesterday,
but another half still waits to be written.
the colors have yet to be splashed onto canvas,
or to fill the dimensions
of what i haven't been able to be.

midway, i am partially filled with pastiche,
and give the stains of memories to
the potpourri of existence.

the photos tell only traces of truth,
the paintings fill only partial lines.
because part of me is still young,
running streets with a spray can 
and ready to write my name in vain.

but i am older now.
more focused and filled with
doubt, still eager to shout
about ways to view a world -
pep in my eyes recedes with a hairline,
beats of my heart are more paced and self aware
(less likely to commit to the page -
more afraid they'll disappear).

part of me, this age,  
where prisms grow enraged
in expressions of lifetime.
the skin covers muscle, the muscle attaches to bones. 
the bones provide structure. and together they walk...

yet part of me is tomorrow,
and that...
..only the soul can know.







No comments:

Post a Comment