Monday, September 30, 2013

@PaintDeez is at it again. New art premiering in New Haven

On September 28th, artist Gordon Skinner showcased several new pieces at a warehouse in New Haven called Erector Square. Skinner's new art arriving at a time when many of his greatest fans were ready for rejuvenation and more of his whimsical, creative, yet critical mind. His new paintings depicted some of his usual layered depictions of urban identity and post-colonial thinking, and I was glad to see that he has continued to capture his perspective of the world with vibrant colors and thought-provoking choices. I should also point out that I have ZERO training in art and am far from a role as art critic. I learned of Skinner's work when I first moved to Connecticut and became intrigued by what he had to communicate.

Although an older piece, I was draw to Skinner's three-dimensional box with the basketball hoop on its side. I had seen the work in the film shot by Bob Albert, but this weekend it caught my attention because of a current vision I have for possibly hosting a 2014 sports writing institute for young people of Bridgeport (a dream that won't move forward until I get funding...isn't that how all dreams begin?)

My favorite addition, though, to Skinner's collection was "Self Portrait as a Garbage Pail Kid, III" which was described in the program as
A mixed media piece with several layers built on canvas that took Skinner an entire year to complete. The self portrait is inspired by the 80's collectable Garbage Pail Kids trading cards. One of the few works on canvas of Skinner's that directly displays his love of fashion implemented and other interests. The work is one of the best examples of his use of texture, prominent in all his work.
I would have offered a picture of the work here, but there were few opportunities  at the showing where a photograph could be taken - many, impressed by the artist's talents, crowded around the piece in admiration. I imagine they, too, were mesmerized by its complexity.

I was also impressed to see Gordon Skinner's move into non-paint forms: sketches, drawings, and other works. Many of his collectors were in attendance and I was able to meet some of them who have the means to invest in his work.

Having an invite to his premiere was a highlight to my weekend. I was glad to receive the invitation to his premiere and feel thankful to be a part the community he's creating in southern Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment