Thursday, December 5, 2013

And the learning begins...Literacy Research Association Conference, Dallas, Texas #LRA13

In my ongoing tradition of finding a home away from home, I booked a room away from the annual conference, but this year I'm in walking distance, so there was no need to rent a car. My brain is thankful for this, as I deserve a break from massive amounts of traffic (downtown Dallas) and can use my feet to get to where I need to be.

It was great to reunite with Elizabeth Stevens, Marcelle Haddix, Liz Lewis, Kelly Chandler-Olcott, and Detra Price-Dennis at the cocktail party and at Richard Beach's Presidential  event (even better to know Detra is now at Teachers College and a train ride away).

It was also wonderful to eat outdoors, knowing that the possibility for such dining will be limited with the oncoming storm. I couldn't help but ingest the nachos and burgers with the flare of summer (was it really 80 degrees today?). Yet I overate and it's time to recharge for another day of scholarship, conversation, and networking.

Like the Annual Meetings of NWP, the LRA conference has become a tradition and a location to see extended family again. I look forward to the presentations, addresses, and chances to high five colleagues from across the nation. I'm pleased, too, to learn my hotel doesn't smell like wet cats like the reviews proclaimed. I lucked out this time. I've stayed in dives much worse than this in previous years --- trust me. One of these days, I will score and get a room at the conference with the big dawgs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment