Monday, December 23, 2013

The laps I first ran as a high school student always bring me home and make me feel centered

The temperatures are a usually a little rougher at his time of year and the roads are definitely more icy. Yet, this year's CNY weather has been totally cooperative and I've been able to hit the pavement, running my old stomping grounds in Cherry Heights. Every time I do this I think of the years I began running Almalfi Drive, Caughdenoy, Spruce Hill, Fortuna, Bamm Hollow and Evesborough as a junior in high school. 25 years later, and I'm still able to keep the pace - that is a lot of miles, memories, histories, laps, perspiration, pain, and therapy. The temperature drops on Tuesday - I don't know how many more days I will be able to maintain the trek outdoors.

I was also able to get the parental units to pose for a photograph and I captured them both with only one or two shots. I think the photographs inspired me to go through photo albums, so I spent a portion of my afternoon walking down memory lane with snapshots of yesteryear: dad's perm and mustaches, mom's weight watchers years, neighborhood parties, the big hair of Casey and Cynde, elementary school  photographs and, of course, grandparents on both he Ripley and the Crandall side.

My mom often asks, "Wouldn't you like to sit for one dinner with your grandparents if you could?" and I always respond, "Yes." I would love to be able to hang out with them in the ways my sisters and I hang out with our parents today.

As I looked through holiday photos of once-upon-a-time, I couldn't help but notice the ubiquitous trees, presence, and enthusiasm of kids - these were generations before I even arrived. What we will go through in our households this week has been repeated across the U.S. in many homes for the last 100 years. I love the holidays and it is one ritual I would never want to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment