Saturday, December 21, 2013

And Santa stopped on Nichols Avenue just as I was leaving for Syracuse

The goal was to safely hit the road for a relaxed, chilled-out return to CNY as soon as I finished at the gym.

Yet, yesterday, the temperatures were way too warm so I had to run outside. It felt great.

When I returned home, my roommate, Weijing, was getting ready to shower before her day of medical procedures. For the last year she's had issues with her stomach and this month has been worse than others. She was put on a liquid diet and was scared to death of what they would find today when they looked inside. Her friend spent the night and before I left for Syracuse, I wished them both the best.

Then I thought, "It's Christmas."

They left for the hospital  and I ran to the store to buy puddings, Jello, Ginger ale, fruit, chocolate and cookies (Weijing loves OREOS). I left a card, too, from Santa that told her that now that the procedures were over, it was time for her to snack and be merry. Weijing doesn't celebrate Christmas, but I wanted the holiday cheer to be with her nonetheless.

Before I went to sleep last night I received a text from Weijing saying that her  procedures went well and everything looked good. She also said, "We dug into the food right away. You were right. I was hungry when I got home and this all made me feel better!"

It bothered me that I wouldn't be home after her day being checked out and no one would be 'home' to greet her when she returned. Weijing lived with Lois before she lived with me and I thought to myself, WWLD - What would Lois do? And that's what I did. I brought her family love all the way from Beijing (well, Big Y, and a lot less fish and rice).

It definitely put me in the spirit and I'm glad to say I arrived to Syracuse safely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment