Thursday, December 19, 2013

My sleigh bells are jingling...heading out of Connecticut today for a little R&R.

I am unsure if I have had substantial time off since this time last year. As students submitted work this week and I graded, I grew more and more wary of my complete exhaustion. In fact, I felt I was becoming grumpy and miserable, which isn't my usual demeanor.

I've labored all week with one item in mind...hitting the road and embracing family for the holidays and birthdays that surround the end of December. I came home last night and wrapped presents, put away at least six baskets of laundry, and cleaned the kitchen so I can return with it clean.

My goal is to wake up, chill out over coffee, go to the gym to burn calories, pack up, and then hit the road. I'm aiming for a 4 o'clock arrival time and simply want to - as Simon and Garfunkle once sang - slow down because I've been going too fast. I want to make the morning last now.

In short, I'm ready to feel groovy without meetings, agendas, deadlines, presentations, papers, books, office hours, professional development, or grants. I want a beer with whoever will have one with me and to laugh.

I need to laugh and to be absolutely stupid for a short while.

No comments:

Post a Comment