Saturday, December 7, 2013

Fingers crossed. Let's hope today is a better day for Dallas Airports.

I awoke yesterday morning knowing that I was most likely going to need to hunker inside and give everything up to Mother Nature. The view from my window showed a pool wanting swimmers, but lined with the inch of ice that is reported in news programs across the nation. I accomplished some grading, but my antsy personality caused me to go for a walk, which proved to be treacherous stupidity and slippery clog dancing. The fresh air did me good, but the majority of the day was spent inside the confines of the hotel room and behind my laptop. I think the anxiety of being trapped caused awful sleep, too, and I'm simply wiped out. I can't think, plan, or operate at the capacity I usually do.

I was thankful, however, that the hotel's restaurant was open for business -
usually a night club on a Saturday night - but I was the only one who used it. I heard people checking in saying they couldn't drive any further because as darkness set, it was still to slick to move. My friend Elizabeth, who did make it out on the flight, said the ride to the airport was one that caused much anxiety and fret, especially on the overpasses. She is thankful to be home. I wish I could say the same.

Yet, things can always be worse. I had food, shelter, and a place to plug in my laptop and I did get through a semi-large chunk of material needing to be accomplished this week. People who travel on a regular basis are nuts. I'm not a fan. I like the routine of familiarity and comfort. The not knowing is a means for insanity - and the fact I didn't pack clothes in anticipation of being trapped has me feeling grimy and frustrated. This too shall pass. I could be stranded in the airport. That would truly suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment