Friday, December 6, 2013

Ubuntu Matters! #LRA13 I am, because we are. Looking forward to another great day.

Today, my colleagues (mentors, friends, supporters) and I are presenting a session with two purposes. The symposium will address our research with English language learners, including students with limited and interrupted formal education, and the ways our personal trajectories of scholarship have interacted.

I, for one, claim that I am who I am as a result of the Syracuse University community.

Our individual interests and theoretical frameworks may differ, but together our findings become more meaningful. That is Ubuntu.

Gerald Campano, the intended discussant, had to leave before the storm. We are thankful, however, to have Lenny Sanchez, University of Missouri, in his place. Kristiina Montero's flight, too, was cancelled so she won't be able to join us, either. Yet, her presentation arrived through Drop Box so we DO have her scholarship and voice. She will be with us after all!

Sadly, the presentation arrives a day after the news of Nelson Mandela's passing. In his honor, we must promote Ubuntu in all that we do - that is, to work towards the well-being of all, rather than the well-being of ourselves, alone.
a humanist philosophy that considers the success of the group above the achievements of the individual (Lundin & Nelson, 2010; Tutu, 2009) 
It is not, "I think therefore I am."  It is rather: "I am human because I belong. I participate, I share.” (Swanson, 2007, p. 31)"                       
It is all about relationships in the same community; it is the link binding individuals and groups together; the ultimate meaning not only of the unity of multiplicity, but of the concentric and harmonic unity of the visible and invisible worlds” (Venter, 2004, p. 153)




No comments:

Post a Comment