Monday, April 1, 2013

12 years, and counting - lost, found, Sudan, and growth

In 2000, we learned that Louisville would welcome over 300 men from Sudan, known as the Sudanese Lost Boys. In 2001, I signed up to mentor one man, which turned into mentoring many. I taught them to shop, pay pills, drive, clean, organize, enroll in college and send money home. My friendship with their refugee group also benefited my students. I showed the 60 Minutes special every year I taught and last night, twelve years later, they ran an update.

I can't believe it has been twelve years. I guess that is about right because Panther, one of the men I mentored, has a 12 year old daughter now. He's been trying to bring her to the U.S. since he left his pregnant girlfriend so many years ago.

Yesterday, Louisville made it to the Final Four. Syracuse made it their yesterday. Last night, the Lady Cards beat #1 Baylor in an unexpected win. Yes, I revisited both my Louisville and Syracuse life through the 60 Minutes special and all this basketball nonsense. So much everything on a Sunday evening. My heart can't take much more.

I'm too exhausted to begin another work week.

No comments:

Post a Comment