Sunday, April 14, 2013

And another year goes by...

Dear Nikki,

At this time next year you will be a senior in high school (and if I begin saving, maybe Cynde, Mike, KC, and I will fly to see you in Dayton). Don't hold your breath.

It is amazing that so much time has flown and that, well, you took after your mom and began to compete in Winterguard. I have vivid images of Papi Butch shedding tears of pride (and memory) for you back in the days of club, cadet, JV, and nowVarsity. I feel lucky that I was able to see most of these years of your competitions while I was working on my doctorate in Syracuse, and although I missed the year you did Bollywood, I was able to catch you this year in Central Square and Rhode Island. I like Starbucks coffee because it is acidic, but he show this year -- not so much. I'm still rooting for the Crappy show.

Either way, you need to know that whatever the judges say and however the girls interact we (the family unit who drives you nuts) are all proud of you. Perhaps one day you will be at the age of Cynde, KC and I and reflect in a similar way about youth, growing up, commitment and time. It flies (as will your senior year and the frustrations of being in high school and all the drama that it entails). With that said, I think all of us would say "Embrace it for every second you have it." Don't sweat the small stuff. Simply absorb the memories while they are made - even the girly gossip, backstabbing bitchiness that comes with the territory of your age.

Seriously, Congratulations on having a drop-less (better than topless) season and for persevering in a passion you have for your sport (of the arts). I am looking forward to how you step up your game during your last year of CNS.

Love ya,

Uncle B.

1 comment:

  1. School time flies so fast. I miss my high school. We used to have 50-60 friends all at the same place, Thank you Bryan, your letter type article brings back my old memories.

    Regards,
    Finn Felton
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete