Monday, December 9, 2013

Feeling Inspired by Marguerite Moore Callaway - @MMCallaway

I've done a lot of conversational work with the Great Whatever (read prayer) over the last four days, including this morning as a van picked me up and drove me from my hotel to the airport. My friends warned me about the roads and how scary they were on the overpasses.

That was an understatement. The roads were beyond dangerous and Texas ice is something I don't ever want to experience again.

The airport, itself, looked like army barracks with 100s of cots set up for sidetracked travelers. The tension from exhausted travelers created a fog of paranoia, frustration, and angst. Still, channeling my "roll with it" attitude, I tested myself to embrace the moment for what it is worth. There was no need to stress; rather, it was best to absorb the moment for what it had to offer. I got coffee, some lunch, and worked on my Hill Central presentation.

After the flight was delayed again, I remained calm. There seemed to be movement that made it look like we would definitely get out. When they finally started boarding, I realized I was moved to first class! Whoa! That was an unlikely change of events. Then, as I began to sit, a kind woman noted she had the seat beside me, so I asked her if I could help her with her bags and she said, "That would be nice."

I'm not sure how the conversation started, all I know is that it continued the entire flight: through cocktails, meals, cookies, heated cashews, and a warm towel. Ms. Callaway is the President of The Callaway Leadership Institute and heading to Yale, via San Francisco, to talk about next steps with the partnership work they do in South Africa. The following from her website describes more:
Using insights discovered while working with leaders and their teams for 35 years, Ms. Callaway has created a practical leadership development framework that results in more effective leaders: Effective 21st Century Leadership™. It focuses on the Leadership Work of Self, Reality, and Relationships. 
Ms. Callaway’s life’s work has been to understand the conditions that foster leadership effectiveness and organizational success. She knows what works and what doesn’t. She’s a recognized expert in leadership development, systems thinking and strategic management, and human motivation in work settings. She has served on several company boards, and is a frequent speaker in domestic and international settings. She is a published author of three books.
As the two of us discussed her work in Africa, I told her about my cousin's work with Hoops4Hope and his commitment to youth there. We started a conversation about Ubuntu and I shared with her the work I dod with relocated youth in Syracuse and the dreams I have for creating Literacy4Life wherever I go. I shared with her that 2013 is dedicated to community and she discussed with me her work of building leadership with Advanced Health Management and investing in the power of individuals desiring to make a difference. We talked about schools, reading, and the magic communities create when they're given opportunities to excel.

We exchanged business cards to the conversation and whether this happens or not is somewhat irrelevant. Why? Because it's not everyday a person gets upgraded to first class after a Texas snowstorm or that one is seated next to such a fascinating, engaging, and wonderful human being. The intellectual dialogue we had extended the professional conversations hosted by the Literacy Research Association and helped me to think about additional possibilities to do with my research and human interests.

Although I returned to Connecticut exhausted, I am rejuvenated for next steps. 
Successful leaders and their teams must use their organizations inevitable challenges as an opportunity to grow, to evolve - Marguerite Callaway

No comments:

Post a Comment