Monday, December 16, 2013

Syracuse means many things, but accomplishments, CUSE, and family are high on the list @harlemson

And this, I believe, I share with Dr. Don C. Sawyer III who successfully defended his dissertation earlier this month. He is a diehard fan of the Orange, a dedicated father of four, a devoted scholar to the communities he serves, and a genuine man of integrity. I am a better human being because I know him.

For the last two years, Sawyer and I have tried to find time to get together in Connecticut (he teaches at Quinnipiac University down the road). Yesterday, however, in celebration of his accomplishment, we finally found the chance at a nearby pub in Hamden where I was able to finally deliver bottles of Dinosaur BBQ and Wegmans Asian BBQ as an accolade for his achievement.

I met Don early in my doctoral career and although we didn't have classes together, we bonded over a shared focus with Syracuse youth - an advocacy we both carry in our current work in Connecticut, too. Most recently, Dr. Sawyer has been investing time with young men at Wilbur Cross High School in New Haven where he is advocating for the literacies youth value and the respect they deserve.

Of course, the other reason Don and I met yesterday was for the Syracuse/St. John's game. Originally, we intended to take the train into the city, but circumstances (before the snow and ice arrived) hampered that event.

I grew up north of Syracuse and so the hill where Syracuse University resides represented privilege, sports, and out-of-reach territories to me. Arriving to its academic world in 2007, I was unsure of how I would navigate my roots with the world of a private institute of higher education. Yet, I'm an Orangeman now and will be to the day I die.

I advocated for Syracuse sports teams since I was a little boy, but now I am a proponent of their academics, their dedication to scholarship in action, and their support of a wide variety of people and interests.

Meeting with Dr. Sawyer, yesterday, was like having a piece of Syracuse with me in southern Connecticut - a family reunion of sorts. It's good to have him nearby because most would not understand the pride I have for that place now or the love/hate relationship that results because of the stress and abundance of snow.

Here's to you, Professor. You deserve a Nordic YELP for what you've accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment