Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Community that Blizzards Together, Digs Out Together

Saturday was spent, well, snow-blowing.

The snow was still coming down at 9 a.m., but it tapered off soon after and the strong winds finally settled around 3 p.m. (although they still gust from time to time.

The plows of Stratford have still not gone down Nichols Avenue, but I'm proud of myself for getting my machine through the thick of it. Although not perfect, the driveway is almost clean.

To the left, you can see that the snow banks were over my hip. Pushing the machine through it was rather comical, but nothing that couldn't be accomplished with three tanks of gas and several hours. At the bottom of the driveway where the snowdrifts were built, I actually blowed underneath the snow only to create avalanches over my head. Then I had to go over the trail again.

Weijing snapped these photos - she was thrilled by the snow and as I lifted piles higher and higher, she kept jumping up and down to say how beautiful it all was (she was right, but not while my toes were cold and my face was beat red. Go inside where it is warm).

And there is still no traffic. The few cars that attempted to venture out ended up stuck in the snowbanks. At one point an ambulance tried to move through. It was a mess, too, because it couldn't get by the cars and trucks stuck in the snowbanks. I felt rather bad for it (and the destination it was trying to reach because it wasn't getting there any time soon).

I hope this will do it for the year. Bring on the daffodils and tree buds. Just a little big too much snow for one storm.


No comments:

Post a Comment