Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Once again, the biggest loser...

I sat last night watching the Biggest Loser and joked between the commercials that were offering fitness, foods, and positive reinforcement, "Yes, I know my body is a temple. That is why I feed it Double Stuff Oreo cookies."

That cracked me up.

But it also was a painful truth. Do know when I buy Oreo cookies I eat one and give the rest to my roommate. I know the foods that lure me in and they have everything to do with the blue, furry guy from Sesame Street. Nope, not Grover.

So, after a birthday weekend of wine, Thai food and, today, a sausage omelet, I settled in for the night to reread John Dau and Martha Akech's  Lost Boy, Lost Girl when the show came on. As usual, I listened to the television set rather than watched it, until the very end. The woman sent home gave a tremendous speech and everyone had tears in their eyes. For communities of people who have wrestled with weight, self esteem, exercise, and image, her words should resonate. It is always a fight to do more, to work harder, to persevere against the biology of big bodies and the psychology of emotional eating. The trick, always, is to get into a healthy routine.

That's why I have the gym which I avoided last night, but will return to early in the morning before work. Truth is, I ate a half moon cookie (well, part of it - I took a bite and gave the rest to my roommate who is Asian and eats fiendishly despite her petite body).

My point for this post? Ah, spring is coming and I can't wait. I live much better when I can run and walk daily. I've said over and over again that the gym saved me my four years in Syracuse, especially during the winter. Well, February is almost over and I'm thankful for the gym again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment