Thursday, February 21, 2013

Selected to be a World Book Giver! @NSLCsyracuse

In January, I applied to the World Book Night organization to be a book giver. I learned yesterday that I was selected as one of the givers this year to distribute books to the world at a location of my choosing. They have not sent me the specific details yet, but when I applied, I wrote about the North Side Learning Center in Syracuse, New York with their mission of aiding adult and youth literacy development, and to be instrumental in teaching self-sufficiency and self-actualization to newcomers in our community. I know through my work with relocated youth that it was literacy programs like theirs that truly made the biggest impact on learning.

My colleague, Dr. Betsy Bowen, who also is a recipient, has distributed books in years' past to the Mercy Learning Center in Bridgeport. I wanted to be part of it this year to thank the young people from Central New York who have relocated from many countries from refugee camps. Dr. Yusuf Soule, one of the leaders and directors at the center, contacted me last year about running youth programs for reading during the summer months. At the time, I could only contribute a list of books that resonated with the young people I worked with while working on my dissertation. This year, however, I will be able to provide them with a class set of middle school books for them to work with - all thanks to the World Book Night initiative.

This brings me tremendous pride as the community of Syracuse is extremely deserving, especially the hard-working, diligent and dedicated young people who use the North Side Learning Center for tutoring and support. It is also an opportunity, perhaps, where parents and children can work on the English language together. I'm hoping to use this as an additional opportunity to visit Central New York in April. I hope this post will be followed-up in the next month after the distribution is made!

If you live in Syracuse, I hope you will check out the work of the North Side Learning Center and consider doing whatever you can to offer support.


2 comments:

  1. As the volunteer librarian for North Side Learning Center, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your generous support of the center's mission. I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'll be sure to share this with everyone I can :)

    Thanks,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, Please get in contact with me. I'm easy to find on the web. Call or email. I wish to speak to you soon. Bry

    ReplyDelete