Monday, January 21, 2013

Chopin Fantasie Impromtu Op. 66

There is something wrong with me. Yet, for some reason I knew there was an alternative spelling to "impromptu," especially regarding classical music, the classics, European purists, and opuses. That's why the misspelling on a t-shirt in CNY perked my interest (no, I'm not obsessive at all). The t-shirt excluded the "p" and a controversy began over a typo, an error, and a mistake. Nope. Turns out that our American dictionaries and spellchecks use the spelling with a "p," but many of the original compositions excluded it. I checked out I-Tunes, too. The albums have Chopin's work as impromtu and not impromptu.

Chopin spelled "Fantasie" wrong, too, but where is the disgust over this alternative? It's a tomato/tomato, potato/potato thing and I say, "Let's call the whole thing off." Besides, I placed a really good piece of piano music (accompanied by National Geographic/Animal Planet-like images) here for Monday's listening pleasure.

Now I am wondering if my mother knows how to play this piece on her piano. I think it would be great if she did (and maybe she could sit at the piano in the corner of the giant green mat while the girls are performing about Starbucks in front of the giant triangle poles in their show - that would be cool).

Happy Martin Luther King's Day. Remember peace. Remember hope. Remember global equity.

No comments:

Post a Comment