Sunday, January 27, 2013

Lincoln - he made my communities possible

I went to see Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln last night in Steven Spielberg's film of the same name.  I'm not sure what drew me to see this film, other than the Fairfield Museum has one of the signed Emancipation Proclamations on display and I thought it might be a good way to reflect on a Saturday night. I'm far from being a historian, but I have a total appreciation for the miraculousness that is world history, and the amazing feats that change its course through leadership, rhetoric, brains, wit, and dedication. Gaining signatures in the house of representatives to pass the 13th amendment was no easy task, but it was THE effort that made the course of humanity move forth in the right and just fashion that was necessary. We are far from perfect to attaining equity for all, but we are much further ahead now that at any other time. We have good ol' Abe to thank for this (and I have him to thank for all the rich experiences I have had learning, teaching, and being in a brotherhood of diverse learners and cultural backgrounds.

Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens became a memorable character for me and if it wasn't for this movie I would never have learned that name. Perhaps the best scene in the entire film is when he removes his wig and enters a bed with the woman he loves (and who he brought the gift of the signed confirmation). That, to me, was extremely powerful on numerous levels.

I also never realized the influence and difficulties Lincoln had with his wife and children. His heroics often overshadows the everyday family man who had strains in his personal relationships, too. Sally Fields, as usual, was stupendous.

Yes, when I think of the majority of communities that have embraced me and my ideals as an adult man, I realize it spirals back to Lincoln's vision. Movies like this make me think deeply about the mantra that only the winners have a say in history. It is true that many histories are often unrecorded and undermined because of Western power structures, but sometimes the history and the power structure does the right thing. This cannot be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment