Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I "stuck it," but it wasn't enough.

When I wiped my ankle and was knocked out of my exercise routine, I noticed they had a sign that they had the flu vaccine. I asked them to "stick it" to me and they did. I thought this was enough.

Two months later, I learned that the flu virus morphed and the vaccine might not be enough to counter its attack. Still, optimistic, I moved forward and have loved my return to the roads and gym. I hate when I can't workout or run.

Yet, I woke up Sunday morning with the Mucinex goblins moving in and even if I tried to go forth with my usual cerebral plans, they eventually won. I went to the store, got my medications, and hoped I countered the sneezing, headache, and cramps.

Then I woke up Monday. It was a day of pains, tissues, and toilets. I'm not sure if it was the flu, but it definitely was something.

Last night I went to bed early. I watched the Syracuse game, tuned my first classes as much as my brain would allow, and actually partook in a day-long of inauguration activities on my couch with Kleenex (and Charmin) - definitely kept the paper industry in business. My favorite lines from his speech,


Our journey is not complete until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who still see America as a land of opportunity; until bright young students and engineers are enlisted in our workforce rather than expelled from our country. Our journey is not complete until all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia to the quiet lanes of Newtown, know that they are cared for, and cherished, and always safe from harm.


Today, I'm optimistic that rest is a cure. We shall see. I think I moved five hundred feet, at most, all day. I am hoping CNBC is not correct and that this year's return to collegiate life will NOT be epic in terms of illness.

And what's with this cold air? I think my cousin Mark brought it back with him from the arctic.

No comments:

Post a Comment