Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I haven't written such a letter in years...

...but I wrote one last night.

In the classroom, students often wrote me long letters that sought advice, guidance and mentoring. These letters were up and beyond any classroom assignment, and it was par for the course to get many each year. I'd often call around and talked to professionals so I knew how to best respond to letters.

This, I suppose, is how I built a community.

Last week, I received a note from a student I met while I did work in Syracuse. I knew him through observations and witnessed he was struggling. Via Facebook I continued to advocate for him as a "father figure" to get his act together (when he was arrested, when he was involved in stupid things, when he was kicked out of school, when he failed). I often had one on one conversations with him where we talked about school, poverty, racism, media, knowledge, morals, integrity and human strength. He was a sharp kid, a smart, budding intellect, but circumstances in his life led him to a series of poor decisions. Still, there was something in him that made it easy to believe in him.

And so I responded to his request and, once again, in a letter, was direct and honest. That's all I can be. I can't save the kid, I rarely interacted with him, and I can't comprehend the numerous demons he faces. But I can be a sounding board and an adult who draws lines, reprimands his poor choices, and offers advice when it is needed.

The hills he climbs, the mountains he trails, and the wildlife he pursues are all his. I can only remind him that there's hope if he choose a life that is less violent, less criminal, and less destructive.

He's one of many. They all need to be heard and guided.

No comments:

Post a Comment