Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Baby Einsteins...Not.

I guess one has to see it to believe it.

I've heard for three years now that there's a summer camp that arrives each year for child prodigies - gifted toddlers who are beyond their years with wisdom, intellect, and wit. I guess this is why I was surprised, yesterday, when I finally ran into the Baby Einsteins on campus. I expected small people. I didn't expect thumb-sucking, bed-wetting, teddy-bear carrying brainiacs that needed to hold hands when they walk from point A to point B, and who needed super counselors helping them to take one foot in front of the other in order to move forward.

I asked about the program and learned it was for talented and gifted kids (read: parents who have a lot of money and want to believe that their kid is talented and gifted). I guess this is Gold Coast phenomena and stuff you see more often in the super suburban, high powered parent communities that I've never worked with.

"Watch," I was told. "Keep watching. Wait until you see how they carry their food out of the cafeteria. 50% of them will fall and lose their lunch on the floor and then have a crying fit."

Seriously. A camp for child geniuses.

I guess there are Sports Dads for Nerds who promote the extra-ordinary gifts of their three-year olds to attend college campuses in the summer.

Granted, they and their counselors walked up the down staircase blocking everyone who was trying to go down.

Yep, seriously.

As I've always said, "I'm so glad I have always lived an untalented and ungifted life. I am a better man for it."

No comments:

Post a Comment