Saturday, July 13, 2013

Week One (Check). Week Two (I'll think about it Sunday night). @CwpFairfield

There's something miraculous that culminates at the end of week one during a summer institute that is sponsored with the National Writing Project mission. It doesn't quite occur, though, until Friday when the author's chair makes itself known. The teachers spend the first week working on personal pieces in writing groups, and attend a variety of workshops to assist their thinking about the teaching of writing.

One by one, the teachers read their first piece out loud and, although often emotional (and nerve-wracking) they get through the experience. In some ways, it is this ritual that bonds a group. On day one, everyone is quiet and somewhat nervous, antsy about what is to come. By Thursday, friendships have started and smiles are shared (particular to the 2013 crew, bubble bum is shared --- well hoarded). Then, on Friday, the human connection is sealed. The teachers have helped one another on their pieces, invested energy on the construction of them, and experienced audience reactions. Words are meant to be heard because writing communicates and writing builds community.

I told Jean Wolph of the Louisville Writing Project that I was extremely nervous about being able to recreate the bond I experienced in LWP XXI when I took a position in the northeast with a site of my own. The first year, however, the teachers connected. The second year, too, the teachers connected. This year, while I'm working between the Young Writers' Institute and the ISI, the teachers are connecting. Jean was right - the NWP model works. It can be trusted to build a professional community because it treats educators as professionals. As a classroom teacher, it was the one source I could always count on and trust. In my research, as well,  NWP came to the forefront as the most trust-worthy model for educators to improve their practice in teaching writing and to build stronger writers in their schools. I am feeling the magic once again with the cohort of 2013.

I can be me because of who we all are together.

No comments:

Post a Comment