Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Connected Cart, Ellen, and Early Preparations #ConnectedLearning @CWPFairfield @NWP

Most of my colleagues retreat in the summer and spend their time drafting, editing, and writing for selective research journals. My position as a NWP Director, however, doesn't provide too much time for my own writing. Instead, it is preparation time for the teachers and students coming for the writing institutes (I will get some of my writing done when I am writing with them). We will write in personal, creative, and real world genres while aiming for a digital creation, as well.

We are ahead of the game, too.

Yesterday, Ellen and I put together the writing "pals" that will go into each of the three rooms where institutes are occurring. Last year, we only made writing kits for the teachers, but I remember the faces on the students when they saw that teachers had all the colors, markers, pens, notecards, stickers, stress balls, and bubblegum. So, this year I opted to put together kits for all the rooms.

And I laughed. Actually, I strutted around the building like a peacock. I borrowed a book cart from the library and it turned out to be perfect for carrying the items. I was proud and I wanted to be sure everyone saw the cart and, ha ha, took pride with some of the sneers received that I would have playful items at a college university. I am forever 14 - of course I have toys for my classes.

Seriously, the writing pals have stickie notepads, colored pencils, rulers, scissors, etc - all you need to move forward with a writer's notebook (except crayons. I forgot crayons).

Either way, I'm ready for next Monday where the teachers and I will write away our summers. It's the greatest way to spend July (after the 4th, that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment