Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Because there's a little light (a crevice) in my schedule, I caught some fire with Katniss

Hands down, I much preferred Catching Fire to the first film in The Hunger Games trilogy. Of course, it was also my favorite book, too - before the third in the series, when everything becomes excessive and over the top.

Still, at this point, I remain a fan and I loved the choices made in the second film, especially with the fierce vengeance that is created for Katniss Everdeen as she learns more about President Coriolanus Snow (I also love that his middle name ends with an ass reference - that is how such scrupulous power should be viewed).

I took this photo in the theater, however, because every time Donald Sutherland appeared, I couldn't help but think of Ron Freeman, my Princi-Pal while I taught in Kentucky. In every way, Ron's leadership was the antithesis of Snow's, but the resemblance (must be the white hair and beard) kept cracking me up.

The film did its job and left me ready for the third. I'm excited to see how the Capitol - The Official Government of Panem is portrayed. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Joan Rivers is casted as one of the most prosthetic residents to live there...she epitomizes how I view the city. We shall see.

In the meantime, I can't help but look at the story as a metaphor for our own culture. I contend that Democracy and Rule by the People is a global quest, but I can't help but note that the inequities teased out in the trilogy are relevant to our culture today. We are the 'entertained' - those who are captivated and enthralled by voyeurism, violence, and the fear that we might one day live in such an oppressed state. We live in a material, abundant, and sometimes ridiculous culture. Perhaps toning our economic power in the name of democracy might be a vision for future global affairs. That's idealistic, though.

Does any one population deserve such capital and power? Isn't there a way for more equity amongst districts? How do we keep those of us in the Capitol aware of the conditions in other lands held in tragic states as we reap and benefit from their resources?

These are the questions I left with. I ask them because I am fortunate to live in the land where privileges afford me time and energy to wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment