Saturday, November 2, 2013

Far from angelic and missing CNY

Fridays are tricky days. They are the end of a week, but also a flashlight into the darkness of everything needing to be done. In Syracuse, I had the distraction of family to tease me with dinners, events, and silly evenings of complete nothingness.

That is what I missed most when I lived in Kentucky. I always said, "Family is meant for those moments in life when you simply want to be mindless and to chill out in the ways it used to be."

A pub does this, too, but there were no pubs last night.

Instead, there was planning, reading, writing, grading, and thinking about how to strategically carve through a weekend's worth of work so that Monday, I can enter the work week exhausted, but on top of my game.

Still, it would have been nicer to take a flashlight to Cynderballz's living room or watched something pointless on t.v. with my mom, or dine at a restaurant with KC in Manlius.

Instead, I let the leaves fall to the ground in Connecticut and I crafted the game plan for Saturday and Sunday - no distractions to get in my way...not even Nikki to harass and make fun off.

I bought a couple bottles of wine, but it didn't pull me from the funky exhaustion I'm feeling from the semester or the angst I see for the month ahead.

I began a new book to get my mind off of lists, but it was hard to focus. The words fluttered and I couldn't get comfortable on my furniture.

Perhaps if I sleep well, today will be a spectacular day.

No comments:

Post a Comment