Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I don't know about you, but I take my teeth for granted

Truth is, I've wanted dentures ever since I told my Grannie Annie and Aunt Patty that I could tell they were sisters because they had the same smile. Aunt Patty took out her teeth and that is when I realized 99.9% of everything I knew as truth in the world was a lie....

Pudgy's Pizza. Sundays at Church. The Indian people on the back of my mom's organ. Santa Clause.

Truth is, I have horrible teeth and settled for a lifetime of dentist chairs and their shenanigans. I had two lulls in dental care, too - when I was a graduate student at U of L and when I was a student at Syracuse (although I maintained regular visits). Now, at 41, my teeth continue to decay.

I had a filling last week on a fifth molar - a wisdom tooth that never was pulled - and I thought it was a quick fix. Nope. Whatever was done is resting against a nerve causing an ear ache, headache, and mouth of ridiculous pain. Aspirin takes care of it, but when it wears off, oi vay!

So, I returned to the dentist yesterday and was told, "I was afraid of that." He did a few adjustments and then said, "Let's see if you lose your vision and you can no longer walk two days from now."

Great advice.

I'm hoping the adjustment works, otherwise he must make the decision of removing the tooth or conducting another root canal. Boy, the proposition of either thrills me to death.

At least my vein issues in the legs have temporarily subsided.

It's just a matter of time, however, before I have a smile just like my Grannie Annie's (and her sister).

1 comment:

  1. It's never too late. Besides, the 'denture years' (if it even comes to that) is waaay far off. So you've got all the time and the opportunity to seize your dental situation, and turn it right around. Either through braces or dental implants, it's up to you. The means are everywhere.

    Barry @ Gateway Mini Dental Implants

    ReplyDelete