Saturday, November 9, 2013

Hmmm, 2005, John Green. You were looking for Alaska and I was...

...well, I was pushing the class of 2005 out the door and looking forward to the class of 2006 (or vice versa...that is debatable).

This summer, a series of adolescents across Connecticut ran to me with the exuberance to state, "What? You haven't read Looking for Alaska? Oh my god, oh my god oh my god! You, like, totally need to read that book. It is the best book everrrrr!"

Actually, the recommendations didn't come with such a stereotypical flare, but it did arrive with the voice of a new generation of young people. At first, I was skeptical about the suggestion. Then, one night in September, I had a long, intellectual and rewarding conversation with a high school student who convinced me, with absolute sincerity, that I needed to read the book. After this conversation, and with much admiration for her reasoning, insight, curiosity, and zest, I stated, "I will get this book and read it for you."

They say you are forever trapped at the age of the students you love to teach most. This, for me, is the period between sophomore and junior year.

Time has flown forward. The semester has taken off. Then, one day in my college English class, I must have mentioned Looking For Alaska, and asked if anyone had eve read it. One of my students heard me had her mother send her copy from home so she could lend it to me. It's been in my bag all week and, last night, I sat down and read the whole thing while sipping a few glasses of wine. I needed a break from the hectic world and it was the perfect time to explore this coming of age story.
I needed to remember the fledgling flights to everything. When young people come at me full force with recommendations, I always read with a scholarly mind. Yet, at the same time I also talk to my 15-year old self to ask, "Why is this book the one others love? What does it say about a generation?"

The kids claim it is in the spirit of Perks of Being a Wallflower, but I don't agree. I do think, however, it is a text that introduces young, inquisitive minds to some of the deeper questions about life, death, and meaning. During the first half, I kept thinking, "I don't get why this is the book." Then, during the second half, I started to see glimmers of why it resonates with young readers. I have to say, John Green twisted just enough in the end that I now want to read more of what he has written. I know that his book, The Fault In Our Stars, is highly acclaimed and many adults have told me I am a disgrace to the profession for not reading it. I am intrigued.

I will. I will. I will read more of his work. I promise.

But as for Miles "Pudge" Halter and the lessons learned from Alaska Young, I can say thumbs up (although, I am admitting here I am forever amused by Pudge's coming of age with Lara and their awkwardness of adolescence).

And I'm now intrigued by famous last words that intrigue John Green and the character in his book. I know miine won't be famous, but I wonder what I will have to say in the end (and who, if anyone, will hear them).

No comments:

Post a Comment