Monday, May 6, 2013

Almost $65,000 - Autism Walk in Wallingford, Connecticut

I joined the Saad, Kelley, & Minto Crew yesterday to join team Noey at the Autism Walk in Wallingford, Connecticut located on the campus of Choate Rosemary Hall. The event raised money for the ASRC and we walked in support of autism, research, and programs to benefit families.

Incidence rates for autism were once upon a time 1 in 10,000 but now it is 1 in 110. Currently, autism is one of the leading childhood development disabilities. It is the hope of the organization to embrace autism as much as possible and to advocate in programs such as yesterday's walk.

Students from Choate were on every corner chanting Team Noey on through the beautiful, New England town of Wallingford (and I must say, there campus for high school is nicer than most universities...Phil said, welcome to where the 1% send their children to school). The day was gorgeous and the crowd abundant with vibrant and lively people. Afterwards, we went out for Mexican food and ice cream and, to be honest, I'm not sure I will be able to digest what I ate until next weekend. So much food.

Even so, it always feel good to be part of a community that is going good for the world. It makes me think that I should be more proactive and run/walk every weekend in support of something (although I'm leaning more towards walking given my knee, back, ankle, and hip issues that have found me after my 41st year). Still, while I can move I will move, and if I will move, I should move to benefit others.

I am proud of your team, Noey! Great Job!

No comments:

Post a Comment