Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Thinking Spring, Thinking...Thinking...

My lawn was mowed for the third time today. Now, my father Butch, has probably been mowing his lawn since February, but I don't put all the chemicals onto mine. Still, it seems to be growing might fast and, well, I'm not ready for this yet. I want things to pause a little bit...to not be in such a rush to change, grow, and move forward.

Yet, I admit, taking 50 minutes out of the stress of this week simply to mow was therapeutic. The Lily-of-the-Valley is blooming and my Irises are about to pop. The Day Lillies, too, are almost knee high and my Hostas are in full force. I love this - a hint of the summer to come - but I want to remain in the in-between space where I'm not shoveling and I'm not mowing.

And I'm also feeling thankful of the reminders that this will be what it is for now, but it will turn to Autumn, which will return to Winter, only to leap towards Spring, back to Summer. It is predictable and I suppose I would be in a better place mentally if I could simply get my head around what is natural and inevitable. Green stains on my sneakers. Fallen branches. Birds looking for mates. It really is the simple things we should be paying attention to - from them, we learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment