Thursday, May 2, 2013

Throw Back, 1998, Music Lessons and... @_Mitchellaneous @kellydelight @julieroneson

...a reflection of why stories matter.

I went for a walk last night at dusk, simply because I didn't move from my desk all day. The 12 hours killed me and I needed to get my legs kicking. So, I listened to This American Life on my iPod where they had a throwback to a 1998 episode entitled Music Lessons. Something about David Sedaris's reflection of his father's love of jazz and his secret desire to be Ella Fitzgerald reminded me of a story Shaun told us at a bar one night in Alabama. Then the second story by Sarah Vowell reminded me somewhat of the University of Miami stories Kelley spoke of (although not as 'nerdy' and band-geeky) and, finally, the story told by Anne Lamott made me think of the poised way Julie crafts her narratives. Shucks, the whole episode reminded me of the Textual Trio who rocked the Sheraton house!


So, if you have 45 minutes, I highly recommend you take a listen to the three stories. They're wonderful (and funny), and can be found for free on your Ipad or laptop. You can also download it from ITunes.


I think what makes this trio so special is because all three are storytellers and have a unique way of crafting their prose. In other words, although my teaching friends are extremely different from one another (and from me) they carry a quality in common - they're extremely interesting to listen to. As I sat with them over four days I realized they bring many Brown School qualities back into my periphery. For our time together in Birmingham I did a lot of laughing (even when things got scary at the bus stop leaving Chic-Fil-A). Ah, THE TEACHING TRIO = Joy.



No comments:

Post a Comment