Friday, March 8, 2013

Breaking the Spring in my Step

I am, most definitely, ready for a spring break, although it's not what one might expect.

My last class ended tonight and tomorrow morning I have meetings with New Haven Schools. I'm secretly praying Saturn really does dump snow on us and schools are canceled. Why? Then I have an extra day.

And I am thinking of Cancun, Florida, the Caribbean, and all the other places I never went to for spring break. I want to have a chill week, but it won't happen. My communities extend the university so I have lots to do next week in K - 12 schools. The result, no relaxation. The optimist, however, is celebrating that I do not have to plan classes. That is good.

Actually, my senior year at Binghamton, I took a pseudo-spring break and called in sick to work at Kaufmann's and flew to Ft. Lauderdale. We didn't do the college beach thing, but we hung out with punks and rockers...went to Greyhound races and, I think, we saw Beck. We also drove 28 hours home ... well, I did in a station wagon. I'm not sure how that trip was arranged nor how it came to be. I remember, however, running along alligators and lizards, loving the sun on my skin, and a Jamaican girl who fed dogs chicken wing bones that made them gasp for air. In other words, I was never meant for Spring Break.

I am ready for finishing a couple of books I've started and for hitting the gym. I don't eat well with the schedule I keep. I come home hungry and eat P, B, & J. It hurts my stomach. I also sacrifice the treadmill more course preparation. This, for the next seven days, I hope, will change as I relocate some of my sanity.

And I write this knowing I need to interview teachers next week for the summer institute and be in several high schools. Ugh. Break. Spring. Reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment