Saturday, March 23, 2013

Out of DC and into RI

I made it safely to Newport, Rhode Island, and am waiting in the hotel for my niece and sister to arrive with the Northstars Varsity guard who will compete at the northeast power regional of the WGI at the Ryan Center on the campus of the University of Rhode Island.

I managed to hide for two hours, eat at a great seafood restaurant and witness the surprising Georgetown upset. I did not see that coming and thought Georgetown would rally in the tournament.

I'm a bit surprise that Rhode Island is as rural as it is. Actually, it reminds me of the coast of England and parts of Denmark. I think I came here when I was a kid, but I can't be sure.

I'm also excited to deliver gift bags I put together for Nikki's crew: water, chips, candy, fake tattoos, a rubber frog and other trinkets. I am, however, wishing I didn't eat so much seafood because I'm stuffed and really want to go to sleep. But, I'm waiting. They thought they might have made up time and could be here earlier than expected.

Today will be a long day at the arena and I'm hoping I will be able to find a place to watch the Syracuse game. While hiking, though, I came across this painted motto upon the rocks and had to snap a photograph. At the heart of this excursion is a love for my sister and niece, so I'm looking forward to their arrival. I didn't think to make gift bag for ourselves (and I forgot my slippers for lounging around). When Sunday comes and I head back to Connecticut, I'm sure I will think to myself, "Man, these last few weeks have been a whirlwind. In the meantime, I'm embracing the pace and the opportunity to be with family in strange new parts. Go Northstars!

No comments:

Post a Comment