Friday, March 22, 2013

World, Jean. Jean, World.

Earth to Bryan. Your head and that hair don't quite do it.

Either way, this photo is special to me. This is Jean Hicks, Director of the Louisville Writing Project and mentor to me for several years. We met when she was teaching at U of L and I was a long haired hippie. She and I often talked about literacy (even before I knew what literacy was). In 2002, I did the Louisville Writing Project and she became a surrogate mother. When I was wrestling with whether or not to leave Louisville, she offered advice to help me make a decision.

Fast forward. Here were are in DC after a day of lobbying. I was able to give a shout out to her and she announced, "Isn't it great to know that one of your kids has become a National Writing Project Director, too."

The wisdom this individual has is tremendous. She carried the project through years and years of portfolio assessment and helped teachers to maintain integrity while the state moved to alternative accountability. She continues to advocate for writing instruction in Kentucky and is a champion of champions. I am a better man because of her.

And soon after this post, I am going to put on a hat and find a pin to deflate my noggin. Really, Bryan? Is that you?

No comments:

Post a Comment