Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Political Part of My Year

I'm heading to D.C. and this time, tomorrow, I will be walking the mall (running, actually) trying to meet with my State Senators and Congressmen to advocate for more funding for programs like the National Writing Project. I made a mini-speech this morning at a faculty meeting (amidst local squabbles of trivial items) that our efforts need to be more united. The state of public education is at risk and the test-crazy initiatives are killing learning, inquiry, critical thinking, and diversity in schools. If we don't unite our front, money making organizations will rewrite everything we're expected to do with students. They aren't concerned with what the kids know...they are more concerned with how they can cash in on assessing what they feel kids should know. I saw a cartoon today depicting four layers of adults stressing over a kid's answer for number 9 on a standardized test with bubbles saying things like, "My job depends on this," "Your passing to the next grade depends on this," "They'll close this school if you miss this," etc. The pressure is put in all the wrong places and my students enrolled in college are case studies of this.

Last year, I caught the cherry tree blossoms in DC but I don't think I will be as lucky as this year. I do have the day, however, to read, organize and thing on the 4 1/2 hour train ride from Bridgeport to Union Station.

Once again, I will contemplate in amazement the cost of the trip to meet with those who represent us in Connecticut. Hotels and restaurants know the political nature of their locale and how much lobbyists will pay in order to have a few minutes with those who serve us in the federal government. I joked at my $36 dollar hotdogs and beer at Madison Square Garden last week. It will be more of the same in the Capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment