Saturday, March 16, 2013

Yesterday, Friday, and exhilarated. Exhausted

My last day of spring break was spent in my office greeting teaching pals at 5:30 to prepare for Alabama. I know that working through vacation is somewhat abnormal (especially beyond the work day, even if I had it off) but that is what it takes to do the work that is needed. Today, I'm celebrating the community of Stamford and Bridgeport teachers (including Sean's announcement that he was named Bridgeport Teacher of the Year).

There really is a lot of magic that comes from investing in teachers, supporting their intelligence, listening to their concerns and promoting their excellence - this is what the National Writing Project allows me to do. Invest in people and the power of what works. This, I believe, is the counter story. Those in the classroom deserve to be heard and their ideas can make changes that build better schools, stronger instruction, and more powerful critical thinking. If I had any success this week it was with promoting the need to invest in teachers. I am hoping these are first steps to greater accomplishments.

It also helps to know that Syracuse beat Georgetown in overtime and are heading into the final game of the Big East tournament to play Louisville. Go Orange! Go Cards! Go Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment