Friday, October 4, 2013

I am a better man because of GiGi

I miss Lois Minto, but feel blessed that her mother, who I learned to call GiGi from Luis, continues to think of me (I'm also thankful to Pam who continues to be my identical twin, separated at birth, yet 8 years older).

Yesterday, when I got to work, Pam brought me another knitted cap that GiGi made for me. I guess the two of them have been plotting for a while because GiGi found orange yarn (which in crochet-land is not so easy). She was thrilled to find it and called Pam to say, "I'm so going to make Bryan a new running cap."

Last year, she made me another cap which I wear regularly during the winter months while running. This year, however, because of the love and craftmanship of Gigi, I will go forth with pride....Orange pride. Syracuse pride.

And it got me to thinking.

I wondered if instead of store-bought gifts this year, what if my family went to the store to buy me materials and then worked hard to MAKE ME PRESENTS. It's just a thought. It could be a family project: they could make me an end table or build me a car. They could design a line of clothing or, maybe, paint a portrait for me to hang on my walls - a little collective love from them all. I think I'd enjoy homemade gifts from the upstate NY family unit. There's nothing like a gift made from scratch.

Note, though, it is unlikely I will do the same, although it will be on my mind. Hmmm, what if I was to make everyone a present this year. Whatever would I make?

Probably an orange sweat-jacket for Casey...but everyone else, I need to think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment