Thursday, October 24, 2013

I Write 2 Teach, I Teach 2 Write #writing2connect #corewriting @CWPFairfield #NDOW

In the 4th day of my celebration for the National Day on Writing, I came to the revelation that I wear two hats in the story I tell myself.

When I am writing, I am thinking about what it means to teach. When I teach, I am thinking about what it means to be a writer.

When I work with students, like I did yesterday at Central High School in Bridgeport, however, I feel completely whole.

Shaun Mitchell, a Bridgeport Teacher of the Year, invited me to his classroom - yes, he inhabits the theater department with his own stage and stadium seating - and challenged me with the idea: what if we brought a 10-Minute Play Festival to southern Connecticut? Inspired by the Invitational Summer Institute in 2011 and then, reinvigorated by working with young writers on Fairfield's campus last summer, Mitchell thought it might be a powerful project to have his students compose short scripts that could then be performed by students at his school. Classes are less than an hour at Central, but not a second was wasted by the youth in his class. In fact, the aura quickly turned to the fact that these kids have much to say, to communicate, and to perform.

So, here's the challenge we offered them.

  • Focus on a single moment in time
  • Introduce a few characters who are together in this moment 
  • Explore the dialogue that these characters might have with one another (draw from lived experiences, reading experiences, imagination, and eavesdropping - yes, eavesdropping)
  • Write with performers and a director in mind - challenge their creativity
  • Think about audiences and what they enjoy viewing
  • Aim for originality (and clever scenarios)
  • AND give voice to young people of Bridgeport
Mitchell, armed with energy and the heterogeneity of extremely diverse kids, sparked a project that has amazing potential. What will they write? What do they have to say? How can I, and perhaps my graduate students, guide Mitchell with helping the students to develop these short scripts? In other words, how can we best mentor them to create stellar mini-productions that voice their worlds in ways deserving to be heard?

Mitchell did his part. I did my part as a guest (and shared the money-making festivals hosted at the Brown School in Louisville). Now, it's up to them. 

Hilltoppers, you got it in you?

(PS: Happy Birthday, Sis. Your post is coming Friday morning)

No comments:

Post a Comment