Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October means temptation

It must be October, because it has begun. The cavity creatures are crawling under my door and tempting my psychology and stomach at every corner. In the faculty room: donuts. At meetings: pies. Then tonight in class: chocolate miniatures to accompany a mini-lesson.

And I resisted.
I resisted.

I hate myself for it, but I resist. I promised myself to stay away until at least November, but October is a brutal month. Candy corn is already less than a $1. This is not going to be easy.

Carrot sticks, apples, lettuce, tomatoes, and grilled peppers doesn't do what a slice of hot, apple pie and a bowl of vanilla ice cream can do.

But I am thinking about control. I am thinking about my friend Vicki in Florida who is accomplishing admirable will power as she places herself center of her universe. I am thinking about my 40s, the genetics, the routines, and the power of mind over matter.

This too shall pass, and before we know it again it we will be summer and the holidays will be over. The gardens will bloom with fresh vegetables and our plates can be filled with options that offer so much more that is better for us.

Meanwhile, I am drinking water and craving an apple dumpling, pumpkin pie, and fudge. Instead, I'll pass, save my calories, and put my attention on what matters most: BEER. And if I have a good week, I can drink more of it on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment