Monday, October 28, 2013

"The Crickets Have Arthritis" by Shane Koyczan

Is it really Monday again, already? Oi Vay.

So, last week, I was helping a student with his research on rheumatoid arthritis when I tried to convince him that he might even find a poem that could help him articulate the points he hoped to make. When we did the pervasive Google Search, we came across this one. The two of us watched it together with complete admiration for the power of Koyczan's words. Neither one of us payed any attention if the poem would be useful for his paper, but we did feel the punch and impact of his voice.

I said, "I might be wrong, but this may be the poet that performed at the Winter games in Canada in 2010." I looked it up and, well, I was right. He made an impact on me then, too.

Note to self: learn more about Shane Koyczan. His prose is building a community that is captivating and moving. In my head, I surround myself with artists like this guy because I'd rather see performances like his than the traditional academic papers the university expects me to assign.

Here's to the week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment