Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Well, Dylan, I'm not quite sure what I'd rather do.

Ah, the memories of indecisiveness and eating dinner at the Isgars.

For several years in Louisville and Syracuse, I've used my little box of Zobmondo to spur entertainment and teach students beginning phases of constructing arguments.
Would you rather...have five bottles stuck on the fingers of one hand for a year -or- have a bucket stuck on your foot for a year?
For over a decade I've used this game in my classroom during conversations of writing argumentative essays and finding the succinct purpose for articulating exactly how you feel...and why.
Would you rather...wake up to find your neck has grown five inches longer -or- that your rear end has doubled in size?
My nephew, Dylan, internalized the game and for years he'd ask ethical questions while we ate dinner or simply while we were sitting around being brain dead.
Would you rather...be stuck with Nikki attached at your hip for a year -or- wake up every morning for the rest of your life and only seeing Nikki in the morning mirror?
The game has endless qualities and tonight in my graduate course we will play it to, once again, spawn a conversation for the best strategies for students to back up their opinions with researched and relevant information. My thinking is that any opinion is worthy if an individual can intelligently articulate (and write) the reasons they feel the way they do. This, I believe, is one quality of the Common Core State Standards that I stand behind with 100% conviction.

I would rather continuing teaching with this game as a tool than assigning my students to write solid arguments without fun, skill-focused assignments. Yep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment