Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I Write To Celebrate Tremendous Accomplishments #writing2connect @cwpfairfield #writingcore

I have not written a great American novel.

This is not poetic verse pontificating the brilliant epiphany I made yesterday when rescuing a bug from my bathroom sink.

Nope, this is not an article to be published in The Economist or GQ, either.

This is a blog post simply to celebrate a tremendous accomplishment and to let the world know, I AM FRICKN' PROUD OF MYSELF!

Why? It has to do with Violet Beuaregarde from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Actually, it only partially has to do with her and the fact that this is my year of chewing bubblegum and it reminds me of her character and how obnoxious she was. Yes, in 2013, I've been chewing more sugar free goo than in years past.

The trouble is, I often stick extra pieces in my pocket when I head out to work in the morning. This wouldn't be bad if I didn't also wash these shirts without checking the pockets. The result has been a horrific mess of several shirts. Truth be told, I ruined a brand new shirt this summer when Beauty Makinta, an educator from S. Africa, was visiting. She saw my mishap and, as a mother of a grown woman, stated,"Oh, Bryan. Let me take care of that for you." She took ice and headed upstairs. I forgot about that, until I slept upstairs this weekend when my parents were visiting. And guess what? I found my shirt still with the gum stain. Beauty must have failed and, crestfallen, stuffed it in the corner of the room.

I went on a frenzy on Sunday trying to remove it, too. I tried ice, ironing, scraping, and freezing the shirt. Nothing worked until I found the ultimate remedy.

Boiled vinegar.

I simply dipped the shirt in boiled vinegar and with a tooth brush, the gum came off like it was dust and I had a cloth to wipe it with. Brilliant.

I write to celebrate tremendous accomplishments like this. I have been on Cloud 9 for a few days now and totally attest that it is the littlest things in life that matter most. I'm stoked by this, so much so that I almost want to recommend you tangle gum in one of your shirts and give it a try. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment