Sunday, August 25, 2013

And then we said goodbye to summer, 2013

With news that the day was supposed to be a good one, and the reality settling in that it's back to school Monday, I couldn't help to soak in as much summer in one day as possible. It began with a hike on the beach in the a.m., and was followed by a run, just the same. Then I got sweet corn and packed my Hoffman hotdogs and salt potatoes for a picnic.

I didn't dare go in the pool, but others did. I was cold. The evening naturally flowed into darkness so we built a fire and sat around telling stories and talking. A giant cicada landed on my shoulder and chirped in my ear, too. Freaked me out and I almost landed in the fire, but it was just a bug (and soon there will be few of them around).

A day like this makes me wonder why anyone returns to work after a weekend or why all of us don't move to territory where we don't have to face winter and empty trees. It was perfect, ending with 60 degree temperatures and a starlit sky.

Ah, however. Today is Sunday and I need to think strategically and efficiently about the year ahead: courses, grants, work, arrangements, etc. Joy. But last night, a fire and friends. That's what it should always be about.

No comments:

Post a Comment