Thursday, August 8, 2013

Bum deal, really. Shafted by Stephen Colbert @StephenAtHome

I don't stay up late. Not my thing. I like satire, humor, and the news, however, so when I was invited into the city to see the Stephen Colbert show taped live, I was intrigued. I'm always up for a new experience and, after reading Colbert's books, I figured the evening would be worth it.

And it sort of was...I think.

Pammy, Nick and I began with cocktails on the train and met Leo, Bev, and Kai to head to Hell's Kitchen together. We had a nice clip and made it in time to stand in line for tickets. We even had time to take shifts to the local bar while we waited. Soon, though, we were allowed into the theater where we went through security, stood in a massive pool of humans who had to pee and took turns using the bathrooms, and grew cranky. It was a lot of waiting.  (I'm going to be honest...I never watch his show. I believe I've caught highlights a couple of times).

We were prompted by several people on how we were the most important part of the show and our energy and enthusiasm sparked the stage - Steven Colbert thrives on it. That is why we were rather pumped when the doors of the studio finally opened. We took our seats with hype and laughed at the comedian who warmed us up. I even mastered my own fake laugh-track, so if the camera rolled by me, I would appear like I was having a grande ol' time at an event with the Colbert Report - heck, he deserves to win national awards. Screw John Stewart...this guy is much funnier.

The balloon grew bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and we all wanted the party to begin.

But, nope. It deflated.

After taping 10-minutes of footage (with several retakes and errors...all funny), Colbert decided he wanted us to watch a dance video he made during a previous taping. So we did. It was dorky, but we laughed. Then he announced that the segment with Ashton Kutcher (the guest for the evening that we were excited to see) was previously recorded. We had to watch the segment like we could have done at home. Finally, Colbert told us he would take one question, which he did, "Have you ever thought you went too far in an interview and wanted to take your question back?" Colbert looked at the audience and responded, "Yes." Then walked off the stage for good. I think many of us wanted to take our evening back.

We watched Ashton Kutcher on a screen. We wanted to boo and grumble (why did they bother having an audience in the first place?), but pretended to laugh. We wanted to be part of the Oz-factor. We believed in what we were told and what we were to see.

In the end, though, the curtain was pulled to the side. Just another Munchkin and another ego - another man making crazy money in a system obsessed with politics and its celebrities.

Now, if you listen carefully, you will hear the anvils falling dow to hit Wile E. Coyote on his head. It's a heavy whistle, whirling from above, and piercing the ear. It is the sound of all the energy that  deflated while at the Colbert Report last night. We were suckered, but today's another day. Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment