Monday, August 12, 2013

Happy Birthday, Lois

Dear Lois,

It's been three months since you unexpectedly left us and I, for one, can stand with testimony than you are surely missed by your friends, your family, and those of us who worked with you. Not a day goes by when I don't think about the humor, the love, the kindness, and the ultimate sincerity in which you lived each and every day. An angel left the Earth when you departed us, but I have trust that you are looking out for us from above.

I've talked to Pam often to state how much I miss you and how I wish you were still alongside me as a partner, a colleague, a neighbor, and a friend. I know your sisters, nephews, and nieces miss you tremendously, too. I think about the number of days we spent together in search of a six-foot picture frame (it still hasn't been found...but the one we did by lies proudly, painted by you and Luis, in my living room), meeting for brunch at a local diner for your favorite - Steak and Potatoes, or our weekend get-togethers where you and I would eat pizza and watch Luis riding his bike (I need a Paradise Pizza partner).

You were the backbone to all I did with the Connecticut Writing Project at Fairfield and I am thankful for your ingenuity, your thriftiness, your creativity, and the magic you brought to Fairfield University and our little piece of the universe. I know I drove you nuts with my zaniness, attention deficit disorder, and high demands, but you always countered this energy with a smile, a sense of calm, and your stellar outlook on life. You were the best thing that happened to me in my relocation to a new career.

Today is your Birthday and you are supposed to be with us so I could take you out for a drink or so I could deliver a special meal and bottle of special something (tequila? vodka? whiskey?). Instead, you are fluttering with the butterflies and making the world a beautiful place with your faith, spirit, and karma. Trust me...all the calendar alerts have come to me in stereo. You arranged them superbly.

I love you and think about you all the time. But it is not the same.

I, Dr. Byron Pigley Krudell, am a better man because of you and, because of this, you are on my mind. Happy Birthday, my dear friend. Happy, Happy Birthday.

Elephant Shoe,

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment