Saturday, September 28, 2013

An end to surgery, hopefully

I am praying that this is the end of surgery to fix the vein problems in my left leg. They did surgery earlier this summer to rectify the bulging occurring around my ankle, but the vein they worked on opened back up and wasn't pushing blood up properly.

It is an out patient procedure, but still it is an awkward feeling having the fiber wire implanted in the calf and running up the thigh. You don't feel much but I told the doctor, Alex Afshar, that it felt like I was a pizza pie and he was running a slicer up and down my leg. It wasn't that bad, and I feel totally confident in his expertise. Now, I only have to wear a pair of panty hose for another week and to be sure I walk 40 minutes everyday which is totally find with me.

My favorite part of yesterday's procedure was when the doctor asked if everyone was sterile and the male ultrasound physicist responded, "Um, no. I have three children...I think that disqualifies me." I had to laugh. That cracked me up.

I also chuckled when Chris Schelzi, Fairfield University graduate and class of 2013 called me to see if I could write him a recommendation for graduate school. I asked the doctor if I could take the call and he said, "Sure." Talking to Chris totally distracted me from the procedure so I am thankful for his timing with the request.

I also left Dr. Afshar and the Vein Institute with two copies of Trina Paulus's Hope For the Flowers because his office is in Newtown and I wanted to thank him for his expertise as a phebologist. I'm a fan of this man's work and I totally recommend him, even though I had one of those 1 in 1,000 irregularitities and my vein didn't take to the previous two procedures.

Here's to good health and, hopefully, a fix to the problem. Also, thumbs up to the clinic for allowing me to bring my humor to the procedure and to send Snap Chats while documenting the afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment