Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Twenties...

...I loved my teens and up until 22. Then, I think until I turned 30, aging totally sucked. Why? Transitions. One has to totally rewrap their brain around the fact that social life of college is over, marriage and parenting is the next big thing (and awfully trendy), most friends are just temporary, and the ability to be absolutely stupid because one is "young" is over. So, my 20s were more awkward for me that puberty (although I loved my long hair, my drive to run further than I can now, and the fact I was finally making money).

Social life, however. That sucked.

Last night was Kaitlyn Marie's birthday and I took her to Dao's. She's a French teacher at some school I can never remember and she turned 28. I told her that in two years things begin to settle and that the 30s are so much better. This caused debate. Some love their 20s and think they were phenomenal. I guess it is all perspective. I just felt like my 20s were all unknowing. I grew tired of the party scene, but so many others did not. I wanted more from life, but so many others longed for the care-freeness of college. I wanted to make more money, but I was a teacher and also wanted to be good at what I was doing. As I worked to perfect that, it was too late to realize the pay was never going to equate to the amount of work I did. That was aggravating, too.

Still, they were my 20s and I shared with Kaitlyn that the last 'young' hoorah of my life was when I was age 28 and I traveled to Great Britain to study at Cambridge University.  Amy (my colleague) and I had a blast. We went to Denmark, Ireland, and Scotland before we landed to study Shakespeare. It was a wild fling with drunken Germans, wild Brits, and crazy rendezvous(s) x 100. I lived that summer totally in love with life and adventure. Amy and I knew when we returned to Kentucky that it was our goodbye to youth. She soon married and had two kids. This is the proper journey. I put my soul into teaching and acting professional (ha).

I hope to always take time out from my life, however, to celebrate good people as they hit their own milestones. They're important, especially when reflection occurs. Age is a matter of mindfulness. I know kids who are old souls and raisins who are childish. At any age, outlook matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment