Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nichols Ave Night Lights

In 2004, I announced to a class that you know you are getting older when you shop for home goods rather than for a new pair of sneakers or another t-shirt. This is when you find your cart heading to the tool section or towels, passing by the jeans and toys.

To watch me on a weekend is rather comical, because I now live in walking distance to a Home Goods, Targets, and Kohls. I know how they operate and when they send coupons and/or have ridiculous clearance. Every weekend, I pace one day to do my walk in their direction and walk through their stores at the end caps trying to find the best deal (earlier this summer, I was able to get cereal and soup bowls, for example, for 50 cents a piece). Friday afternoon, I lucked out and found their $8.50 solar lights on sale for $1...the bigger ones were $2. So, I bought what was left.

Yesterday, I screwed all my lights into the soil and waited for nightfall to occur to see what I created.

Ah, lighting up the universe. Christmas. Class.

For less than $20, I now have a landing for alien communities and/or Sikorsky helicopters. The runway has been installed and I did this while saving a pretty penny. Of course, now I'm obsessed and want to get even more lights. They are cheaply made and I doubt they will make it through a winter, but we will try. If anything in life, I am a total cheap son of a Butch. It's borderline neurotic how I shop and horde obsessively when I get a deal.

It's not just me, either. My uncle Dick, once ecstatic over a chicken sale at Krogers, loaded his bike with as much chicken as he could hold. This, of course, was too much for the penny-pinching relative, and he couldn't balance on his bike with so much foul. He looked around to see who was watching and decided to hide his purchase in some bushes so he could bike ride to get his station wagon. This was a great plot for a tremendous deal - CELEBRATION - except for when he returned to get his chicken. Someone called the cops to report a looney tune hiding chicken in their front lawn.

It runs in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment