Sunday, September 22, 2013

In Hope They Will Join Us (speech given yesterday, National Day of Peace) @EmmanuelJAL @writingproject


       
Lea Annastasio, Hawley Lane Elementary, Newtown
    
Good afternoon. I feel very fortunate to have received an invitation from Trina Paulus to be here today and to participate with Montclair, New Jersey, in celebration of community, hope, and the dreams we all have for one another. My name is Bryan and I am the Director of the Connecticut Writing Project at Fairfield University and, more recently, a friend of Trina Paulus and the influence of Stripe and Yellow in offering serenity in times of chaos. Trina and I met last year in response to December 14th, when tragedy hit close to my home in Connecticut. The two of us joined forces to transform hope into action and that is why I was invited here today. I will begin my short conversation with the words of my colleagues and friends, Lee Attanasio, an elementary school teacherin Newtown and Carol Davies, a colleague who lives in Sandy Hook and who uses poetry as a healing force.

The idea began when we, as co-facilitators, began to discuss how we might offer something to the community of Newtown, how we might facilitate an experience that would allow all the language and images that swirled about us to stop, be seen, and perhaps be released into the larger space of our common understanding. And of course, we wanted to share with each other what we’d seen, to read aloud what we had written. As teachers, we knew that being together and writing together formed the definition of community, and that writing, sharing, and listening as individuals with that community was essential to our experience of ourselves. But how to start, and would anyone join us?

I will come back to their words at the end of this conversation and explain how we joined one another, in hope, to begin a dialogue of healing in response to December 14th.

But how do I start? And will anyone join us?

            On December 14th, like many other nerds in the State of Connecticut, I decided to play hooky from work so I could catch an early premiere of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit that was playing at a local theater. Personally, I came late to the fanaticism of Tolkien’s trilogy, but when it happened, I was hooked. His genius became a metaphor for my philosophy in understanding history, war, conflict, and ethics and in a post-Harry Potter world. I was looking for additional meaning of systems, bureaucracies, governments, and politics. In the audience that day sat 200 bearded men, somewhat plump and 100% geek, and I quickly realized that I was one of them. Sure, I felt a tremendous sense of guilt for neglecting my academic obligations at the end of a semester, but was comforted that for two hours of my life I could live in fantasy. I went to the movie to escape the world for a while and to enjoy a story I began to cherish as a child.

            A third of the way through the film, however, I began growing uncomfortable with the gratuitous violence. Jackson was experimenting with a new style of cinematography and the camera motions reminded me of the dizzying effects one experiences while playing video games. This, coupled with the film’s heightened use of gore, made me wonder why Hollywood chooses to overextend graphic images as a way to shock audiences. Feeling prudish, I only wanted Tolkien’s story - the allegory that gave me meaning as a young man. I came to The Hobbit for the moral, not the grime. It was early in the movie, though, when I began to receive text messages and phone calls from friends and family. The first came from twins, relocated refugee youth from Liberia and survivors of Liberian conflicts, who I mentored in Syracuse, New York. “Bryan, where are you? Are you working in Newtown? Are you near that school?”

I confessed I was in a theater. What were they talking about? What was going on?

More text messages arrived and I knew something was occurring outside the theater where I was playing hooky. It was terrible, that I knew, and I was trapped in a theater beside story-geeks and middle-aged Neanderthals nerds. Even though the animated tub of popcorn and pint of Pepsi warned me about using my cell phone during the viewing, I went online to find out what was happening. The over-the-top Hollywood rendition of The Hobbit seemed drastically inappropriate in light of the illnesses in the real world.

School shootings? Violence? Did another Orc really need to be bludgeoned with a club? How many children? Teachers, too? Really? Again?

My phone was loaded with messages, including the frantic voice of my mentor in Kentucky – my Louisville mom - who taught me the power of building relationships with each and every student as a way to help them achieve their greatest success. Sue simply wanted to know I was safe. This was her nature – always looking out for others. Nothing mattered more than seeing another generation of youth succeed in school. She was a champion of children. Events like these destroy her optimism and hope in the human species.

But, how do we start? Will anyone join us?

I returned home and immediately turned the television on to see, first hand, what was happening 11 miles north of my home. As I saw the footage, the first person who came to my mind was a teacher I had, myself, in Cicero, New York. Here name was Cyndy Debottis. In my senior year, she taught a course called Tools for Change that was designed for students to work on their souls and to offer them assistance in figuring out life’s larger dilemmas. Her curriculum covered much needed territory that was typically overlooked by state bureaucracies and politics. In her room, students were much more than a test score and with her instruction, we felt safe, appreciated, and supported. Cyndy understood kids, helped us to see we were on our own journey through life, and went beyond the call of duty to help each of us realize that the power of healing begins inside. It was in her class that I first heard a story about two caterpillars and a year later, when my grandmother died – a personal role model with a contagious zest for life – I recalled the Trina Paulus story she read to us. Hope For the Flowers, in a way, became a metaphor in the back of my mind that guided my understanding of the world, especially in difficult times.

I became a teacher in 1995, took subbing positions for a while, and finally had my first position in 1997 at a quirky school in Louisville, Kentucky. A parent of one of my students, Jan Arnow, asked me to sponsor an afterschool program with her called No More Violence. Together, we worked with students to deconstruct violence in the world around us and helped them to question the layers that lead to violent acts. We looked at societal structures that support violence, but also all the biological, cultural, historical, and political foundations that sit at the base of any violent act. To model the complexities, Arnow shared an essay by Sarah Corbett, From Hell To Fargo, featured in the New York Times Magazine, a story about Sudanese refugees relocating to the United States because of the civil conflicts in the Sudan. 200 Lost Boys were slated to move to Kentucky in 2001 and inspired by the article, I became a mentor. The Sudanese men I worked with became central to my teaching and they often shared their life stories with my students to help them understand the privileges afforded to many of us living in the United States.

In 2004, however, I began to question our affordances when one of the men I worked with was murdered by three African-American youth in the southern part of our city. It helped me to realize how deeply rooted violence is to the age Imperialism, America’s history of slavery, and the inequities that still exist between populations in our own country. We, too, have a history of violence in the U.S. that continues in many of our communities. I don’t feel that young people are born to kill one another, but come to this as a result of oppression, hardship, lack of education, and frustration.

I mention this story, and my teaching in Kentucky, only because there are times when there are few words that can be said. Although I’m a talkative, energetic fellow, when James was murdered, I grew reserved. I wanted answers, and without them I grew anxious. Why murder? What leads young people to act in violent ways? How can educators counter this? What responsibility do I have to the histories that cause such behavior?

Channeling Cyndi Debottis, my high school teacher, I remembered the yellow book.

There’s hope ….shouldn’t there be?

Violence is a tricky monster, especially when I reflect on the books I taught to my high school students. Violent acts exist in almost all of the texts and, perhaps, the rise of the humanities resulted as a way to question violent ways. In fact, Euripides began this tradition rather dramatically. A stellar historian I worked with at the time was quick to remind me that such intellectual pondering is the result of Western, privileges and that my right to ask such questions is a result of over 2500 years of history. In her opinion, and I have to agree, what we have in the U.S. today is the result of numerous conflicts throughout history. Doing the math, I came to realize that my freethinking, democratic ideals are the direct result of almost 104 million soldiers who have lost their lives in war. To this date, the world has not known a period of sustained peace and perhaps this is why we are here today. Freedom, unfortunately, is the result of violence.

Upon viewing the news reports of Sandy Hook I found myself writing a letter to Trina Paulus. To be honest, I didn’t know if her book was still in publication or any biographical facts about her. In the email, I simply explained who I was and that I wanted to purchase copies of Hope For The Flowers to give to Connecticut Writing Project teachers with direct relation to Sandy Hook. Within seconds of the email, my phone rang.

Um. Trina Paulus, called my office.

“Hello?” I spoke skeptically into the phone. “Seriously? You’re Trina Paulus.”

“We can do more than a just a few books,” she advised. “We need to think bigger.”

Trina inspired me to write a letter to the National Writing Project, a network of 70,000 teachers, with the idea to do a “butterfly” release with Stripe and Yellow in response to December 14th. The goal was to distribute copies to teachers, counselors, psychologists, families, churches, synagogues, mosques, and students throughout southern Connecticut.

The phone call came a week before the holidays when I was preparing to visit family in upstate New York. I quickly sent a letter to the National Writing Project and packed my belongings so I could be with friends and family. I normally take the same route when entering Central New York, but I decided to try a new exit. I wanted to visit my sister and her two boys, first. Subconsciously, I wanted to be with their youth; I knew it was what I needed.

When I exited the thruway near their home, it began to snow - the first snowfall of the season, in fact – and I felt a sense of calm. I watched the light flakes dance between the gorgeous pine trees that lined the hibernal roads and watched the vague sunlight trying to peak out of the clouds. Beautiful. Then my phone rang. Paulist Press was on the line and wanted to donate the first 100 books. I drove to the side of the road and looked to the sky. 100 books. Really?

How do we start? Will anyone join us?

Two days later, Friends of Hope for the Flowers made a call to their listservs and I contacted my friends in Kentucky, too. Through them, and the National Writing Project, I quickly realized were had much support to do a substantial butterfly release in Connecticut.

It was impressive, but I felt sympathy for Trina. In the true nature of her spirit, she wanted to autograph each and every copy of the book. Una McGurk sent me photos of Trina lost behind piles of yellow. The first time I saw a photograph of Trina buried behind her yellow paperbacks I felt a pang of guilt. I made the suggestion to create a sticker for the inside of the book, which she agreed to do.  

We also learned that Sandy Hook was inundated with an outpouring of gifts, donations, and memorials, and I worried that our response might add to the stress the community was already feeling. Local newspapers pleaded with the nation to cease sending items and to “pay it forward” in other ways. Colleagues who live in Newtown also shared stories about the overwhelming attention their small town was receiving. I discussed this with Trina and she agreed. We would pay it forward in other ways.

The first butterfly release occurred when colleagues of mine hosted an event to bring teachers, psychologists, counselors, and administrators together to talk about ways to respond. During the event, participants shared how local schools were working with (or running from) the local tragedy. All of them came because they wanted to help students, teachers, and families to cope. Each received a copy of Hope For the Flowers.

A second release occurred in Westerly, Rhode Island, after I learned that my niece, who marches with the Cicero-North Syracuse Winterguard, was competing against Newtown High School. I contacted the directors of both groups and asked if it would be all right to bring copies of Trina Paulus’s book to the regional as a good gesture between competing teams. I also put together a care package for performers in anticipation of grueling schedules and a very long weekend. Members of the Newtown squad were thrilled by the generosity and, a week later, called my office to leave messages of appreciation. They shared stories of how they passed the book along to others after they read it.

Soon after, butterfly releases began to occur in Syracuse, New York, too, at refugee community centers where I learned much about the literacies of relocated youth. One of the young men who received the book gave it to his American-born girlfriend, who read it and wanted me to know that her cousin was one of the victims at Sandy Hook and she immediately mailed the book to them.

Butterflies were also sent to Nunavut, Canada in the Arctic, to a reservation that reportedly has one of the highest teen suicide rates in the world.

The book has been distributed at literacy workshops, to pre-service teachers, to undergraduates, to classrooms, and even at the Civil Rights Institute in Birmingham Alabama. Yellow and Stripe were also placed in the hands of Emmanuel Jal, a Sudanese hip-hop artist who is starring in an upcoming film with Reese Witherspoon and whose global hit, “We want peace,” was promoted by Alicia Keys. It’s a long story, but the two of us ended up in a conversation one night in a hotel after he performed. The conversation quickly turned to global violence and I had a copy of Trina Paulus’s book in my bag. As I gave him Hope, he gave me a copy of his book War Child (I recommend you read it). The stories share a similar journey.

It got darker and darker and he was afraid.

He felt he had to let go of
         everything……

And Yellow waited….

….until one day…

Until we ask, how do we start? Will anyone join us?

A class set of Hope For the Flowers was also delivered to Stratford, High School, Alma Mater to Victoria Soto, the teacher who died heroically while saving her students. The high school is less than two miles from where I live.

One by one, day-by-day, all the copies were distributed. At basketball games. In libraries. During community events. In classrooms where I taught. And finally, to young people participating in the Newtown Poetry Project, a writing project between poet Carol Ann Davies and teacher Lea Attanasio. The two of them worked graciously to bring poetry to the young people they love and to offer it as a means to heal. They worked with students in grades 3rd through 6th and their parents in a six week program after school. They came simply to write as a community and, with support from the Connecticut Writing Project, published a collection: In The Yellowy Green Phaseof Spring: Poems from Newtown, earlier this year.

In the last ten months I have been thinking about the teacher who impacted my life as an 18-year old and how her reading of Trina’s book came to the forefront of my world. This is the power that words have on others. More importantly, it is the power of an amazing teacher. As the project took on wings of its own, I set out to find the woman, Cyndy Debottis, who made such an impact on me. I found her on Facebook and she wrote me,

It's so hard for teenagers, people in general for that matter, to see their worth and potential. Not only with teens so long ago, but with the inmates I work with now. There is so much to say about Hope For the Flowers. So many people struggle to get ahead even though it may be nothing of value to them other than just being there. They live their lives in a very dissatisfied, unhappy fantasy bubble trying to convince themselves that's where they want to be. They fear that if they change direction, all of their time would have been wasted. This is sad. Everyone deserves to know that the wings exist within.

I wanted to finish what I came here to say by emphasizing what Cyndy wrote to me and by reading a poem written by Lea Attanasio, the 4th grade teacher who worked with Carol Ann Davis on the Newtown Poetry project. As mothers and educators who live in the community that was disturbed by horrific choices of a single individual, they came together to stand with pride and hope for their town. In the center of Newtown is a large American flag that stands tall in the middle of the street. It is a symbol that Lea captured poetically in one of her contributions.

A Proud Soldier:

Our flag
THE flag on the pole
stands boldly
humbly
courageously
with great humility
and endless pride
for all the world to see.

It waves
towers
welcomes
guards
and reminds us of who we are.

An albatross
perched high above the cliff
pensive, peaceful,
prepared to soar.
It waits and watches
with endless patience.

Anonymous and famous
fragile
vulnerable
invincible
unforgettable.

It rises above
soars on a breeze
dancing.
It bows to a storm
mourns in sadness
then rises again
to cheer
to remember
to celebrate
salute
honor
cherish
love.

In 2013 I began reflecting and living by a Bantu philosophy of UBUNTU, which roughly translates, “I can be me because of who we are together.”

Ubuntu matters because communities matter. Not just Newtown. Not just Montclair. Not just New York City or Washington, DC. But Damascus. Darfur. Mogadishu. Monrovia. Oakland. Saigon. Tehran, too. We can be us, because of who we are together.

But how do we start? Will anyone join us? 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Thank you for this...let us continue what we have already started and keep releasing butterflies and "paying it forward"...

    ReplyDelete