Thursday, September 12, 2013

Please, a thunderstorm. Please.

I've been back to the northeast since 2007. I have vivid memories of thunderstorms that woke me from a sound sleep, with crazy lightening and heavy rains. I recall thunder claps that shook the windows in my house and made the hair stand on the back of my neck.

I think I had my first beers sitting with my father in his garage watching CNY storms come and go,  and was always mesmerized by their fury. Since returning to Syracuse, and now in Stratford, however, I feel I am missing out on thunderstorms. While in Syracuse they all went north or south. Now, they all go north. I simply want that feeling of the complete cool that comes from a storm. Where have all the good storms gone?

I want a return to my youth when they were a little more crazy.

It was 95 degrees yesterday and I helped to close Lois's pool (that she never got to use - RIP). By the time we were finished I was drenched from the humidity. The air was Kentucky thick and my throat grew scratchy with the hovering smog. When I got home, I learned tremendous storms brewed 20 miles north of here, but not a single one dipped where we live. boo.

Maybe I am crazy, but I love a good storm, especially when it brings northern air to fight off the swampiness of the south that has returned these last couple of days.

I want a storm for nostalgia's sake. Just one. I missed both hurricanes in Connecticut because I was in Syracuse at the time. I feel cheated. There hasn't been a single tropical storm in the Atlantic.

Global Warming. Phooey on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment