Friday, September 27, 2013

Invited to 'Gear Up' with Bassick High School

I had the fortune of attending an assembly with 200+ ninth graders at Bassick High School yesterday - a program to celebrate Gear Up's support of the year's freshmen class. Gear Up works hand-in-hand with the interdisciplinary teams created at the high school through providing academic support, tutoring, and enriched opportunities for the students to imagine themselves in higher education and beyond.

The team danced, led cheers, and sang in support of incoming students. They showcased how many at Bassick (administrators, teachers, community members) are committed to the achievement of each and every kid. They also pointed to national statistics and reminded the ninth graders that in order to make it to the senior year with college and career readiness, students have to do their part. In other words, students have to demonstrate agency and action with their academics, too.

Alisha Smith, the mastermind behind this support, led yesterday's charges and even sang (some Beyonce, was it?) from her tiny, 8-month pregnant frame. D-I-V-A extraordinaire once again. I appreciated her shout out to me.

I also listened to  Chitunga Chisenga, a 12th grade student who discussed the ways Gear Up has helped him, including a summer in Nicaragua provided through the support of Build-On. Principal Dr. Alexander, too, offered a motivational speech and encouraged students to stay focused, plan ahead, and to achieve. Like the Gear-Up production, Alexander's comments were motivational. But I keep coming back to Chitunga. He's enrolled in my freshmen English course, but there's something about the way he carries himself and has determination in his eyes that makes me feel there's a lot more going on. Something tells me this kid will be with me for a long, long time. He's definitely a young man worth investing in.

Obstacles faced by youth in Bridgeport, Connecticut, are tremendous, but a strong faculty committed to their excellence through love, encouragement, and mentoring was made obvious by yesterday's Gear Up assembly. These leaders, teachers and community supporters, are unsung heroes, indeed.

I say, Congratulations, Bassick! The ongoing enthusiasm is noteworthy and necessary. I'm with you all the way. Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment