Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Illegitimi non carborundum

Bastards. They drive me nuts.

The photo to the right was taken the last year at the Brown School and depicts seniors working with 4th grade buddies. Writing partnerships were par for the course in room 301 at the Brown School and some of my fondest moments were times when the little ones taught the bigger ones tricks on writing. I remember, specifically, that Shelli Barber, the 4th grade teacher across the hall, did exceptional work with her kids and they taught us an exercise on envisioning audience that I, nor my Seniors, will ever forget. In fact, I still use that lesson with graduate students.

I learned last night that this group of kids are now juniors!

Unbelievable.

Yet, that is what happens when one departs in 2007 and now it is 2013. Time doesn't sit still and no, I can't let...nor can Alice let...the bastards get us down.

The two of us taught in utopia. We had remarkable vision through the irreplaceable leadership of Ron Freeman and we had one another. This was backed by Kentucky's writing portfolios and the high standards the two of us had for all kids. Although targeted for our success, we were protected from the wrath of colleagues. When Ron retired, the Slytherins gained power and made life difficult.  But, we enjoyed  teaching together and working with the amazing kids at the Brown School. The quirkiness and originality of every kid fueled us and, at the time, we were allowed to push for brilliance.. Yes, we embraced nerdiness, but we also enjoyed laughter. We had tremendous fun. And we excelled.

I left, however, because I witnessed the ways bastards can destroy learning. To this day, I embrace my memories of Brown School. It worked and was beyond this world. It is what I aim for, today -- to recreate -- to re-envision again -- and to rebuild because that is what students and teachers deserve.

This is tricky, though, given the nature of public education right now. I wouldn't say it is impossible, but the local and national police-state on what teachers can accomplish with kids has changed. The trust is gone and the excellence has subsided. Teachers can't teach. They need to prove they are conforming to the monstrosity of state tests. It's awful. I sort of saw the writing on the wall and got out to keep my spirit alive. Still, it saddens me to know that so many others have not had the chance to experience such miraculous learning. What Alice and I accomplished should be the goal.

To do this, the bastards must simply be pushed to the side. The bureaucrats should let their teachers teach. It's that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment